[BioSQL-l] ontology for transitive closure table

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Tue Mar 18 16:00:58 EST 2003

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 05:27  AM, Matthew Pocock wrote:

> If you did the transitive closure calculation considering a set of
> namespaces, then I guess you could give a unique ID to that set and
> label the path with that set. Thinking about it, that set is much more
> sane a label for the path. It says 'I can get from this term to this
> term using information only from these domains'.

Wouldn't you do this (at least, wouldn't you be able to do this) just
as well or even better by depicting the relationship type, as that one
inherently is from a domain?

In other words, if I define (GO::isa,CORE::isa,CORE::isa) and then
asked whether there is a path between two GO terms a and b that
satisfies CORE::isa, how is this query going to be resolved? By a SQL
query after physically duplicating all GO::isa relationship paths as
CORE::isa relationship paths, or by first expanding (in SQL or memory)
CORE::isa to all possible (i.e., connected) relationship types and then
running the relationship path query for as many rel.types as GO::isa
expanded to?

The first option IMHO would quickly become unwieldy, a maintenance
nightmare, and bug-prone. In the latter option you do not stick (I
think) that set label onto anything physically, the set is rather
determined by what a chosen relationship type expands to, given your
definitions of how relationship types relate to other relationship
types.

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org