[BioRuby] Fwd: Re: Fw: books to learn Ruby

Marc Hoeppner mphoeppner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 14:48:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Ruby-1-9-Pragmatic-Programmers/dp/1934356085/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360057937&sr=8-1&keywords=ruby+pragmatic

The pragmatic programmers guide, I think, is one of the better
introductions, as they also deal with a lot of general things about
writing good code. Then there is a load of decent-to-excellent tutorials
on the ruby website at http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/ . One
that I found useful to get started was this one:
http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

And the question about how to install Bioruby should be self-explanatory
once the basics about Ruby have been learned, I would think. Short
answer: It's a gem (a library, essentially), so googling for 'Ruby gems'
would be a good start.

Best,

/Marc