[BioRuby] Beautiful code for Bioinformatics

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Mon Feb 13 07:09:31 UTC 2012

I have written about D and Scala in 'Ruby is a pony, Scala is a
thoroughbred, D is a dragon'.

  http://blog.thebird.nl/?p=93

There is more on Scala examples on that site too. I may add D stuff in
the future. We all need to write more about software and programming.

Over the last year I prefer to program in Ruby and D - they are at
both ends at the convenience vs.  performance spectrum ;). D natively
links against C libraries, something I like a lot (saves a lot of data
copying). There will be biogem examples of bindings soon. Also the
LLVM version of D2 is doing well, D will become part of Fedora and
Debian based systems.

If the JVM complex 'ecosystem' is no big issue, JRuby and Scala are
also a brilliant match. You can check out my BioScala code and
documents on github.  JRuby is a great performer, so that may come
naturally to you. Ruby gems work really well on the JVM, even when
written in C.  The JRuby developers have done a remarkable job.

Personally, I think it boils down to background and experience. C/C++
programmers I see taking to D like a fish to water. People with a Java
background may well prefer the JVM. Even after the balanced choice for
D, I really miss some of the niceties of Scala. I guess, if I were
programming Scala, I would do less in Ruby.

I would strongly suggest to buy and read both Andrei's D book and
Martin's Scala book. They are both classics in their own right - and
see what appeals to you most.

D and Scala are both next generation (strongly typed) languages
designed by geniuses. They both work well with Ruby.

Pj.