[BioRuby] development updates?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Tue Aug 10 18:28:22 UTC 2010

Hi Anurag:

On Aug 10, 2010, at 1:25 PM, Anurag Priyam wrote:

>>> I have been lurking around in Debian, and Git mailing list for a
>>> while and
>>> nothing happens off the list there.
>>

>> How do you know that?
>
> Not literally. Just be around on the git list and you will know what
> I mean.

I am trying to make you take a step back and think. Please don't be
evasive. You do not know what happens offline on that list, nor do you
know for any other mailing list or community - it's by the definition
of the word "off-line" that you don't know. Just because you see a lot
happening on-list doesn't mean that a lot can't also happen off-list.

What you encountered is that the nature of things discussed online and
those discussed offline is not identical between, say, the bioruby
list and the git list. But that's not a surprise - pick any two lists
or communities and you will find a difference. That is because a
community's practices are defined by the people who populate them, and
different communities are populated by different people.

Those differences are not bad; rather, I suggest you try to appreciate
them. What should ultimately count is the success of the community in
fostering coherence, and in creating useful software.

If you feel that Bioruby is falling short on those counts, and that
shifting the balance of things discussed onlist and offlist in a
certain direction would help rectify that, then I think most if not
everyone here would be curious to hear your specific thoughts. But
just pointing to another community and saying it is different isn't
very productive - it's just pointing out the expected.

Cheers,

	-hilmar