[BioRuby] Ensembl API

Toshiaki Katayama ktym at hgc.jp
Thu May 10 11:42:53 UTC 2007

Jan,

You are added as a annex developer.

> I noticed that the bioruby-annex repository is for bioruby *rails*
> plugins. However, the Ensembl API would have nothing to do with rails

When I discussed with Nakao-san previously, we have agreed to
include any Rails (or ActiveRecord etc.) dependent bioinformatics
projects in the bioruby-annex repository (maybe we need to
refine

The purpose is

1. The number of codes which depend on Rails related libraries
   is increasing, but we have not yet decided how to integrate
   such modules in BioRuby.

2. We thought correcting various add-ons to BioRuby in one place
   might be useful (so that users can find your bioinformatics
   modules easily, and/or some of them might be integrated into
   core BioRuby library in the future).

> (apart from the fact that it uses ActiveRecord in the background).

So, I thought your project is appropriate to be included.

> This might get confusing for possible users.

Yes, we may need to re-write our project description to clarify.
Volunteers?

As the bioruby-annex seems to be functioning now, we need to discuss
some rules for how to develop, release, and use sub products in it.

My idea is still vague, but how about to have codes in SVN as

  /bioruby-annex/rails/plugins <- for Rails' script/plugin source
  /bioruby-annex/project1/
  /bioruby-annex/project2/
    :

and each sub projects will release the package as a gem (or tar.gz) file
prefixed with 'bioruby-' or 'bioruby-annex-' so that, for instance,
you could release

  bioruby-ensembl-api-1.0.gem

for downlaod from

  http://rubyforge.org/projects/bioruby-annex/