[BioRuby] "Read an ASN.1 file" and "Using a BioSQL database" !!!

Moses M. Hohman mmhohman at northwestern.edu
Tue Mar 13 05:23:11 UTC 2007

Hi Zagato,

Why do you need to populate a BioSQL database, is the database an
integration point with another BioSQL-compliant codebase?

I have limited BioRuby expertise (what I know I know from writing
unit tests for BioRuby long ago, and reading over the codebase just
now), but AFAIK BioRuby does not support BioSQL, nor does it support
ASN.1. You can however parse that genome in the GenBank file format
as follows:

genome = Bio::FlatFile.open(Bio::GenBank, "BA000002.gbk").entries[0]

That returns you a Bio::GenBank object, which has the following
methods you can play around with:

["acc_version", "accession", "accessions", "basecount", "circular",
"comment", "common_name", "date", "definition", "division",
"each_cds", "each_gene", "entry_id", "exists?", "features", "fetch",
"get", "gi", "keywords", "length", "locus", "nalen", "naseq",
"natype", "nid", "organism", "origin", "references", "segment",
"seq", "seq_len", "source", "strand", "tags", "taxonomy",
"vernacular_name", "version", "versions"]

Hope that helps,

Moses