[Biopython] superimposing problem

João Rodrigues anaryin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 22:40:51 UTC 2010

Hello George,

I've tried restricting the alignment to a few atoms only. It works perfectly
for one residue only, but when you add a second residue it probably tries to
fit both (which it pretty much impossible unless both starting residues have
exactly the same rotamer) and it doesn't produce exactly what you want.

I'm attaching a pymol session picture of the result of
this<http://pastebin.com/hjk9m6mM>script that superimposes CA, CB, and
HA (more or less a straight line) atoms
of the first residue of both loops. Both loops have a completely different
structure, starting already with a twist on the first ALA residue, so I
think it's pretty hard to do what you want (exactly) without deforming your
loops.

Usually, to produce those figures, you should have anchor residues whose
coordinates remain the same and then generate the loop residues.

I hope someone else can prove me wrong :)

Best,

João [...] Rodrigues
http://doeidoei.wordpress.com

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:39 PM, George Devaniranjan <devaniranjan at gmail.com