[Bioperl-pipeline] Let me introduce myself

McWilliam, Sean (LI, Uni of Queensland) Sean.McWilliam@csiro.au
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:17:12 +1000

Hi all,

	My name is Sean McWilliam, I'm the guy who has been making all the
recent posts about getting the annotation example running, mostly to Shawn.

I thought I would take time to introduce myself as I will probably be
hanging around on this list, mostly asking for help but as I become more
confident with bioperl, and the pipeline in particular, hopefully providing
some assistance also.

I work for CSIRO Livestock Industries in Australia, I am interested in the
using biopipe for genome annotation as we are part of a consortium pushing
to have the bovine genome sequenced, which looks like beginning about July
next year, although we will be doing a lot of BAC end sequencing before
then.
At present I am the sole person in our group setting up the annotation
project, I am fairly new to Perl and indeed have only been working in
bioinformatics for about 12 months, so I'm still on a steep learning curve.
Therefore if I say anything really dumb please feel free to let me know (in
the nicest possible way of course).

At the moment I am setting up the pipeline on a single machine, but in the
near future we will have access to a 150 processor linux cluster which I
would like to place the pipeline on, so I have a lot to learn in a
relatively short space of time.

Elia, my group leader Brian Dalrymple had some correspondence with you a few
months ago about
the best approach to such a project. Taking your advice led me to setting up
the Ensembl genome browser, which we have running, and using bioperl for the
pipeline. Also thanks for your previous offer of CVS access to biopipe but
due to my current inexperience I would prefer to defer this for now.

Cheers,
Sean

============================
Sean McWilliam