[Bioperl-l] Strain/Plasmid database

Paolo Romano paolo.dm.romano at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 11:17:28 UTC 2014

Dear Jing,

I'm not proficient with perl, and I cannot support your effort, or even
judge it, anyway.
But I'm in charge since many years of the CABRI network services.

This is the final achievement of a EU funded project for a Common Access
to Biological Resources and Information , hence CABRI.
It currently includes 28 catalogues of European biological resource
centers, preserving with high quality procedures such resources as
bacteria, archae,
filamentous fungi, yeasts, plasmids, phages, and more.

CABRI has developed a standard for the databases.
This includes a minimum data set (MDS), a recommended data set (RDS) and
a full data set (FDS) for each of these resource types.
This standard leverage from the MINE project, and has been later used by
OECD for the definition of its standards.
Finally, the newly funded Microbial Resource Research Infrastructure
(MIRRI), which is being built as a research infrastructure for Europe,
is currently examining CABRI standard in view of the definition of a
Minimum  Information about Biological Resources (MIaBRe) paper.

You may find some information on line at:
CABRI web site: www.cabri.org
MIRRI web site: www.mirri.org

and the following paper:
Romano, P., Kracht, M., Manniello, M.A., Stehehuis, G., Fritze, D.
The role of informatics in the coordinated management of biological
resources collections.
Appl Bioinformatics 2005, 4(3):175-186.
doi: 10.2165/00822942-200594030-00002

I'm wondering whether you took these standards into account when
developing your system.
If not, I would be pleased to support your work in this direction since
I really think that a shared perl library for the management of these data,
that is based on a shared data model, is of extreme interest and can be
very useful.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best . Paolo Romano