[Bioperl-l] BioPerl and Travis-CI

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 26 15:22:26 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Fields, Christopher J
> <cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:
>> Peter Cock has graciously helped start up a branch for bioperl-live
>> that is using Travis-CI (a nice continuous integration tool).  Results
>> from Peter's fork are found here:
>>
>>     http://travis-ci.org/#!/peterjc/bioperl-live
>>
>> As this is now pulled into the main bioperl repo, results will be here:
>>
>>     http://travis-ci.org/#!/bioperl/bioperl-live
>>
>> I'll be working on this and expect this will be added to master in
>> the next few days.
>>
>> chris
>
> We've had this running for Biopython for a month now, and it has
> been a useful complement to the BuildBot (which covers other
> operating systems). This was following BioRuby's lead:
> http://biopython.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2012-June/009742.html
>
> The current BioPerl Travis configuration is probably usable right
> now (after changing the branch whitelist to either master, or simple
> all branches).
>
> Other remaining issues include sorting out which dependencies
> should be installed, and streamlining their verbose output (e.g.
> using tail).

That's done now - except for the circular dependencies, and GD,
which might be easy to solve if anyone knows what the error
means - see commit message here:
https://github.com/peterjc/bioperl-live/commit/905441ac09939be3368c14de38d04486c7e9849a

Would a single clean commit of the (current) .travis.yml file be
preferable to the current series of commits? And you you want
a pull request, or would you just merge/cherry-pick manually?

> TravisCI can send out emails (e.g. on test failures), and perhaps
> bioperl-guts-l might be a sensible place to send these. Initially
> we'd disabled the emails for Biopython. I'd like to use an RSS
> feed... there is a JSON API which BioRuby are using for
> http://www.biogems.info/ which tracks their plugins.

I've filed an issue for news feed support in TravisCI,
https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-core/issues/82

Regards,

Peter