[Bioperl-l] BioPerl and Travis-CI

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 25 10:31:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Fields, Christopher J
<cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:
> Peter Cock has graciously helped start up a branch for bioperl-live
> that is using Travis-CI (a nice continuous integration tool).  Results
> from Peter's fork are found here:
>
>     http://travis-ci.org/#!/peterjc/bioperl-live
>
> As this is now pulled into the main bioperl repo, results will be here:
>
>     http://travis-ci.org/#!/bioperl/bioperl-live
>
> I'll be working on this and expect this will be added to master in
> the next few days.
>
> chris

We've had this running for Biopython for a month now, and it has
been a useful complement to the BuildBot (which covers other
operating systems). This was following BioRuby's lead:
http://biopython.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2012-June/009742.html

The current BioPerl Travis configuration is probably usable right
now (after changing the branch whitelist to either master, or simple
all branches).

Other remaining issues include sorting out which dependencies
should be installed, and streamlining their verbose output (e.g.
using tail).

TravisCI can send out emails (e.g. on test failures), and perhaps
bioperl-guts-l might be a sensible place to send these. Initially
we'd disabled the emails for Biopython. I'd like to use an RSS
feed... there is a JSON API which BioRuby are using for
http://www.biogems.info/ which tracks their plugins.

Peter