[Bioperl-l] Wiki inconsistency?

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Thu Jan 24 23:16:14 UTC 2008

Ryan Golhar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't used Bioperl in a while but recently started using it.  I was
> using 1.4.0 but see on the website that 1.5.2 has been released.   If I
> click on the link for 1.5.2 (http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Release_1.5.2),
> I see a two versions:
>
> bioperl-1.5.2_102
>
> and
>
> bioperl-1.5.2_100

Where do you see this older version? I did a search on the page and that
term isn't found. _100 was the first version of 1.5.2 core to go out.
There were then 2 minor revisions released, as detailed in the 'Updates'
section of the page.

> However, If I click on the Downloads link on the left toolbar, then
> scroll down, I see 1.5.2 Developer Release.  The tar file here points to
> current_core_unstable.tar.gz.

Yes, that is just an alias to bioperl-1.5.2_102, ie. whatever the latest
version happens to be. So that people don't need to worry about the
actual version, they can just have one static bookmark.

> Is this supposed to be this way?  It seems a bit confusing.  I think it
> might be appropriate to put all the download links in one
> location...just my two cents...

Well the primary page where all the links are found is the Downloads
page. The Release_1.5.2 page is specific to 1.5.2 and will remain for
historic reasons (so at some point there will be 1.5.3 or something and
the appropriate links on the main Downloads page will be updated to
that, but if someone specifically wants 1.5.2 they can still find the
1.5.2 downloads on its own dedicated page).