[Bioperl-l] GenBank entries creation dates

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 7 15:46:01 UTC 2008

Strangely enough, if you use NCBI's esummary you can get both dates.
Via Bio::DB::EUtilities in bioperl-live, if you dump out DocSum data
(using a debugging method I added in a while back):

---------------------------------------

use Bio::DB::EUtilities;

# for multiple IDs use an array ref; also only use GI's (not accessions)
my $factory = Bio::DB::EUtilities->new(
                         -eutil => 'esummary',
                         -db => 'protein',
                         -id => 1621261);

$factory->print_DocSums;

---------------------------------------

One gets the following tag/value pairs:

UID: 1621261
Caption             :CAB02640
Title               :PROBABLE PYRIMIDINE OPERON REGULATORY PROTEIN
PYRR [Mycobacterium tuberculosis
		     H37Rv]
Extra               :gi|1621261|emb|CAB02640.1|[1621261]
Gi                  :1621261
CreateDate          :2003/11/21
UpdateDate          :2006/11/14
Flags               :
TaxId               :83332
Length              :193
Status              :live
ReplacedBy          :
Comment             :

I'll add in a method to grab the data element by tag (in this case,
grab the creation date by asking for the 'CreateDate' key).  Might
come in handy for scripts.

chris