[Bioperl-l] Collecting genomic DNA sequences using Entrez IDs

Barry Moore barry.moore at genetics.utah.edu
Fri Nov 30 22:03:23 UTC 2007

Paul,

One other alternative is to use the UCSC table browser (http://
genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTables?command=start).  Select your
organism, upload your ID list.  Select you output options.  You can
download the coordinates or the fasta directly.  You have options for
including or excluding various parts of the gene, and upstream/
downstream sequences.  This is similar the solution that Malcom
suggested except the Ensembl option can be run repeatedly as perl
code as he pointed out.  UCSC allows you to do remote connections to
their MySQL server so you could set up a repeated task and more
complex queries that way with the UCSC method.

Barry