[Bioperl-l] First cut svn repository [was Re: SVN and ...Re: Perltidy]

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 27 15:18:03 UTC 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 9:23 AM, rvos wrote:

>> Are we going to try to push svn commits to the read-mostly CVS repo,
>> or just keep it around for history's sake (I lean towards the
>> latter).
>
> I'm a little confused - surely once the svn is up and running we'll
> want *no more* cvs commits? Parallel repositories that each
> accumulate stuff will be a nightmare. I'm probably just not getting
> your point.
>
> Rutger

Most projects make a clean break with cvs (no more commits) for the
reasons you point out.  Not sure how the other core devs feel about
that but I could go for that; it would def. prevent headaches.  We
could keep cvs for the time being as read-only, with no svn->cvs
syncing.

There are few projects which have (as a phase-out plan) old read-only
cvs repositories available, with an automatic svn->cvs commit
following every new svn commit.  Not sure how that works, esp. for
branching/merging and so on which I could see potentially getting hairy.