[Bioperl-l] non-palindromic issue in Bio::Restriction::Analysis

Apurva Narechania apurva at cshl.edu
Wed Jun 6 23:51:45 UTC 2007

Hi,

I was hoping you could confirm and give me some feedback on an issue
I think I've found with the Bio::Restriction::Analysis module. I am
using the enzyme AciI, a non-palindromic restriction enzyme with a 5'
C | CGC 3' recognition site. The module should search both the
forward and the reverse complement strings in the case of a non-
palindromic enzyme. I have found that the this works only
intermittently. For example, the following sequence:

GAAAAAAACAAAGGAAGAAGCTAGCTAGCAGGGCACGCGGTTTGAGGATGGCTGGTGGCCGACCGCAGGGCG
CGCGGTTG
GAGGATTGCTGGTGGCCGACCAGATGAAACTCACGCGCGGCTGGGGACAGCTGGAATATTTGGGCGGCGGCG
GCTGGTAT
TACGGGAAAGGAGAGATAGGGTTTTGGACGGCAGCAGCTGGTATTTGGGCCACCAATTTTGCGCGCCAGTAC
AGGACACC
GATGCCGCAAATTGCACAATGCCTTTTATGGCGACTGACAGTGCGATGCTATAGGTATGAATTGTCGACTGA
CAAAGTGA
CACTATTCACATATAAATATAACGAATAACACTCAGTTGGAATATAGACATATGCCGACTCACCATCTGTGG
CAATGTAT
ACCGACTAACAATTCGATGCTAATTCTCTATTTATAGCGACAGTCGTCAGACACTAATTTGGTGTTGTGGTA
TAATGCTA
GTGCCTCACCGCTGTAGGTGTTGGTCTACTGGTGC

Should digest into 10 fragments using this enzyme, but the module
produces only 7. Could you please confirm this behavior, and if
observed, suggest some possible fixes? This may be a bug in the
_non_pal_enz method, or may be me overlooking something pretty obvious.

Thanks,
Apurva Narechania.