[Bioperl-l] Quote

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 14 01:00:42 UTC 2007

Not to wax philosophical on a very off-topic issue (but it is the
weekend)...

I would also argue that software itself isn't to blame.  Software,
particularly open-source software, is only as good as the people
involved with its development, either the actual developers or users
who contribute back in some way (filing bugs, making suggestions,
etc).  People aren't perfect, so why expect software to be?  To make
a completely lame analogy : if you sat on a faulty chair which
collapsed, would you blame the chair or the carpenter?

As for making sure nothing is missed or is defect-free, how can one
prove a negative?  Of course something will be missed, or a defect
eventually found.  People are still finding new and exciting things
(riboswitches, epigenetic regulatory mechanisms, etc) years after
genomes have been completed and released.  A huge number of predicted
proteins have no known or characterized function.  Security holes
have been consistently found (and patched and sometimes repatched) in
some of the best OS's out there.  Something changes beyond the
control of a developer (a sequence format, or a server change) thus
causing a bug in the software.

Whatever you do, don't confuse success with perfection.  Success at
least is attainable; perfection, meh, not so much.

Sorry you had frustrations with something along the way.

chris

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer