[Bioperl-l] Deobfuscator interface now available

David Messina dmessina at wustl.edu
Mon May 15 19:34:10 UTC 2006

Responding to:
>>> Amir Karger
>> Sendu Bala
>  Chris Fields

> The Deobfuscator currently indexes bioperl-1.4, so it's not completely
> up-to-date.  I believe Mauricio and Dave may be working on updating
> to the
> newer versions and maybe bioperl-live, as well as getting the other
> bioperl
> packages up and running.

That's correct -- Mauricio is currently working on a version that
will allow you to search 1.4, 1.5.1, or bioperl-live. The
Deobfuscator indexes will be updated (daily?) to keep them in sync
with the CVS repository.

>>> A couple of minor interface thoughts.
>>>
>>> 1)There's quite a lot of methods for many of the classes. As such, I
>>> think I'll often want to browse through what's available in a
>>> class. But
>>> 60% or so of the screen real estate is used for "Enter a search
>>> string... OR select a class from the list". IMO, it would be
>>> better to
>>> have two pages, a search page and a result page.   It only takes
>>> a click
>>> on Back (or a "new search" button) to get to a new search, and
>>> now you
>>> can use your whole screen for reading your results.
>>
>> As the compromise it must be, I like the way it behaves. I don't like
>> lots of windows. I especially don't like pop up windows. Right now
>> when
>> I'm using the bioperl docs I tend to have a whole bunch of tabs
>> open to
>> different class pages at once, so being able to see an overview
>> all on
>> one page in Deobfuscator is very nice.

I think the current behavior makes sense as the default, but I like
the idea of being able to view the search results in a separate
window for easier browsing. Thanks for the suggestion; I'll add it to
the list.

>> Further to that, I'd love it if clicking on a method name caused an
>> in-place css(&|javascript) reveal (similar to how a well implemented
>> drop down menu works in a website) rather than a new window opened.
>> Alternatively, just have more columns in the results table, ie.
>> usage,
>> function, returns, args columns. I feel that opening a window for
>> each
>> method you want to understand is far too slow.
>
> Agreed.

Yeah, the way it currently works is admittedly lame, and was done as
a placeholder until we figured out a better way to do it. An in-place
reveal sounds like a good solution.

>>> 2) Please sort the "select a class from the list" alphabetically. I
>>> guess I can enter a search term to get the right classes, but it
>>> would
>>> be nice to be able to browse.

Agreed. I think we were doing this in an earlier test version, but I
must have left it out of the release I handed off to Mauricio.

>>> 3) Minimalist is nice, but documentation is even nicer. It wasn't
>>> clear
>>> to me that the search searches within class names rather than
>>> function
>>> names. What I really want to know sometimes is which module has,
>>> say,
>>> the revcom method in it.
>>
>> This would be a great feature to add.

That's a great idea.

>>> 4) When I search for something that's not found, I get a screen that
>>> looks pretty familiar, with the extra text "No match to string
>>> found"
>>> down at the bottom. It took me a while to even notice it.
>>> (Studies show
>>> that most users don't read most of the text on a page.) Bold
>>> might be
>>> nice here. Or put the error at the top of the screen. Or both.

Added to the list.

>>> 5) I'll save my stupidest comment for last - please make the page
>>> title
>>> "Bioperl Deobfuscator", so that when I bookmark it I'll know what
>>> the
>>> bookmark stands for.

Added to the list. Not stupid, by the way -- much to my surprise,
there are at least 2 or 3 other (obviously inferior :) )
deobfuscators floating around out there.

>> Another minor interface thought:
>> 6) Have a little more cell padding in all the tables. Things are
>> just a
>> little too cramped and things start to look messy/ run into each
>> other.

Added to the list.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to give such detailed
feedback -- it's really helpful.

There is a wiki page on the BioPerl site for this project (http://
www.bioperl.org/wiki/Deobfuscator), so I'll be putting your comments
there for tracking and further discussion. Please feel free to add to
it.

Dave

--
Dave Messina