[Bioperl-l] newbie tries StandAloneBlast and receives "cant openBLOSUM62"

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 1 16:34:51 UTC 2006

You're running a pretty old version of bioperl.  Bioperl 1.5.1 is the latest
and should work with BLAST output from v 2.2.13 (NCBI never upgraded the
formatting for netblast client and local blast, so it's text output is
exactly like v. 2.2.12; only web output has changed).

I suggest upgrading to the latest CVS using the following instructions:

http://cvs.open-bio.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/bioperl-live/

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Installing_Bioperl_on_Windows#Beyond_the_Core

Don't worry if 'nmake test' fails a number of times; it's a bit flaky with
bioperl-live.  This should install over the old version.

If you're really wanting to stick with PPM and are especially brave, I put
up a VERY preliminary online method of making a custom PPM version of
bioperl:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Create_a_Bioperl_PPM_Package

It's a bit longish. But the nice thing about this is you get very pretty,
browsable autogenerated HTML docs from POD for all of the installed modules,
including bioperl!  New versions of PPM do this automagically.

If installing from CVS doesn't fix it drop a line here again.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign