[Bioperl-l] newbie tries StandAloneBlast and receives "cant open BLOSUM62"

Harald haralds_listen at gmx.de
Wed Mar 1 15:44:18 UTC 2006

Hi all.

I am a Bioinformatics Newbie and want to use BioPerl for doing BLASTs on
a local protein-sequence file. Unfortunately something went wrong, which
gives me the error message: "...Unable to open BLOSUM62...".

I am using Win2000 on a normal Desktop PC with 1.4 GHz AMD and 256 MB
RAM (I know, this is not much, but my sequence database is not so big).
My perl-interpreter is from ActiveState and in the version 5.8.7 built
for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
BioPerl is version 1.4
Blast has version 2.2.13

(1) I have downloaded the blast distribution from
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/download.shtml

(2) I have installed it and put the file ncbi.ini into my
WINNT-directory, which is pointing to blast-directory/data
==============C:/WINNT/ncbi.ini========================
[NCBI]
Data="D:/BLAST/BLAST-2.2.13/data"

(3) I downloaded a FASTA-formatted protein-sequence database file
(ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/COG/KOG/kyva) [48MB]

(4) I used formatdb -i kyva and received the files kyva.phr, kyva.pin
and kyva which I put into the directory, where my perl-script resides.

(5) Now I tried to BLAST this database for a sequence, I have copied out
of it. Therefore I just modified the BLAST-script from the Beginner-HowTo:
==================D:/BLAST/StandAloneBlast.pl======================
use strict;

use Bio::Seq;
use Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast;

my @params = (program  => 'blastp', database => 'kyva' );

my $blast_obj = Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast->new(@params);

my $seq_obj = Bio::Seq->new(-id  =>"test_query", -seq
=>"SYFICPISQEVMREPRVAADGFTYEAESLREWLDNGHETSPMTNLKLAHNNLVPNHALRSAIQEWLQRNS");

my $report_obj = $blast_obj->blastall($seq_obj);

my $result_obj = $report_obj->next_result;

print $result_obj->num_hits;

(6) But if I trigger this script, I receive:
[NULL_Caption] WARNING:  [000.000]  test_query: Unable to open BLOSUM62
[NULL_Caption] WARNING:  [000.000]  test_query: BlastScoreBlkMatFill
returned no
n-zero status
[NULL_Caption] WARNING:  [000.000]  test_query: SetUpBlastSearch failed.
0

Does anyone has a clue, what is going wrong? Since my ncbi.ini - file
points to the directory, where blosum62 is found, I can not understand
this error-message.

With kind regards,
frustrated Harald