[Bioperl-l] operating systems and bio-computing

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed May 14 18:02:00 EDT 2003

Hi Thomas,

You may be able to canvas a group of more hardware-centric folks by
posting your query to the bioclusters or biodevelopers lists run by the
fine folks at bioinformatics.org. Here are some URLs to the listinfo pages:

My $.02 follows

Linux is the future for scientific computing in the life sciences for
many reasons including cost, performance, developer mindshare and
available applications/sourcecode/algorithims. Management is pretty easy
if you have at least one skilled admin...even for clusters of linux
boxes doing heavy computation. Advanced visualization is still flaky I
think as you need to be real careful about video cards and driver issues
etc.

Solaris/Sparc is going to be viable because people will always need
big-memory and big-SMP systems to run data warehouses and other
applications on. Few people want to purchase Irix or Alphaservers for
these uses anymore and 64bit Linux computing is still gathering steam in
our community (yay opteron!).

SGI has a new big-memory, modular CPU system that runs 64 bit Linux
called Altix that looks pretty cool. This may be something to seriously
look at if you are an SGI shop already.

An Apple Powerbook running Mac OS X 10.2.x is by far the best unix /
scientific workstation I have ever seen or used. The fact that it is in
a portable form factor is even better. There is a very real trend of
engineering and science-centric people making the switch to Mac OS X.
Just go to a bioinformatics conference sometime and count the Apple
laptops in the room. The Apple Xserve rackmount servers are great and
_very_ easy to manage especially if you want to run a small biocluster
but they scale only to a certain point.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam Inc. - Independent Bio-IT & Informatics consulting