[Bioperl-l] operating systems and bio-computing

Thomas Keller kellert at ohsu.edu
Wed May 14 14:26:01 EDT 2003

Greetings,
This is a generic question about bio-computing platforms and operating
systems. I have an SGI running IRIX 6.5, I got it because the imaging
service my core facility runs was using the SGI for image processing.
Since then the company whose software we use has switched to Redhat
Linux on a PC since it is so much cheaper. I really like IRIX, but feel
that it is not being supported/developed like linux or the mac OS X, at
least I'm finding it difficult to install new modules because the C
library requirements, for example are not available for IRIX.

Could the many knowledgeable folk of this list share their wisdom on
the topic of what platform(s) they see as being the easiest to support
and develop in the area of bioinformatics?

Thanks,
Tom K.

Thomas J. Keller, Ph.D.
Director, MMI Core Facility