[Bioperl-l] No version numbers on bioperl pms.

Philip MacMenamin pm66 at nyu.edu
Wed Jul 30 16:15:45 EDT 2003

I am aware that the overall version of BioPerl is 1.2.2. I dont think I am
interested in this though. I want the version of the specific modules. I
have looked at the Bio::DB::GFF perldoc, and all I see is $Id$. There is
nothing to the left or right of this.

When I grep through it therefore, I get this returned:
# $Id$

This is not helpful. When I perldoc it, there is nothing either.

When I look at the other pms not in BioPerl (say Fatal.pm), there is a
version number (ie $VERSION = 1.02) that is used and needed by things such as
Makemaker. Without $VERSION makemaker may fail to work, and probably give
some not helpful message (unless you have the newest version).

Now, if you are telling me that by virtue of the fact that this is bioPerl
1.2.2 *all* pms contained within are implicitly 1.2.2 this is another story.
And I would be happy. But, I dont know that this is the case.

All I want to know is what version of Bio::DB::GFF and Bio::Graphics is the
latest. (I downloaded it using cpan, not from source)

Thanks,
Philip.