[Bioperl-l] package strategy, 0.7.2 release

Jason Eric Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:47:53 -0500 (EST)

Developers-

We're going to release 0.7.2 very soon now (I know you've been holding
your breath).  I believe everything is ready to go - the link for the
candidate tarball is at the end of this msg.  If you have any input or
improvements, undocumented bugs, or additions to the documentation, please
try and do so by 11/14.

We're also going to release bioperl-db package version 0.1 at or near the
same time which will depend on the 0.7.x branch.  This release will
contain SeqDB, which ties bioperl object interfaces to persistent storage
in a relational db (mysql).  In the future other DB systems would
logically fit in here as well including some of the proposed analysis dbs.

I'd like to see us perhaps utilize Lincoln's test methods from the GFF db
in the test suite of bioperl-db before this goes out.  Would be
good also to have a nice failing when DBI is not installed.  [volunteers
here are welcome]

We are considering adding a little more functionality to the SeqDB before
it goes out the door, but I may be inclined to release the stable code as
with intentions of another (developer) release providing the added
functionality.

It would be extremely helpful if you would look over the documents
provided with these releases and send any feedback to the list before we
push this out the door.

Many Thanks,
Jason

ftp://bioperl.org/pub/jason/bioperl-0.7.2-candidate.tar.gz
ftp://bioperl.org/pub/jason/bioperl-db-0.1-candidate.tar.gz

--
Jason Stajich
Duke University