[Bioperl-l] Pushing towards 1.0

Jason Eric Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 16:10:42 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Ewan Birney wrote:

> It should be perfectly obvious to most people that I would love to be able
> to say we have reached 1.0 branching for the Oreilly conference at the end
> of Janurary. This was just one month late from when we had roadmapped it
> out at Tivoli, so ... this should be doable ;)

I think so too.

> I actually think that we are pretty close to a feature-complete - in
> particular with the Structure objects coming in we have covered alot of
> bioinformatics. Our only missing hole is the Expression objects - noone
> really looked at bringing in the objects from BMS.

I've looked over them, I don't think it will be tremendously difficult to
integrate them into a bioperl framework.

> I'd like to suggest we go for a 0.9 series developer release this week
> (Jason - Hilmar - Heikki - sounds good?) I am happy to push it through its
> paces.

Great.

> (One thing - Chad - do we really need use FreezeThaw; in consed - It seems
> like we should be able to do without it - the tests definitely pass
> without them).
>
> (Jason - I am getting a failed test on mapmarker - no add_position on
> Bio/Map/OrderedPositionWithDistance )

I actually want to phase out Bio::Map::Mapmaker and t/mapmaker.t as these
are replaced by Bio::MapIO and t/MapIO.t - Just need to make sure Chad is
okay with that.

> Otherwise it all looks fine. (famous last words)
>

> We have 24 bugs in incoming, with I estimate about half of them being not
> really active, so we are looking good there.

I think I have tracked down the DB::GenBank/GenPept stuff by plugging in
the new ncbi cgi script so we seem to be getting better reliability here.
Time will tell..

> Before christmas we should discuss what we need to check off before the
> 1.0 release and then try to drive towards bug freedom on the main trunk
> over early Janurary for a branch and (hopeful) release late Jan.
>

> Is there anything else people really, really want to see in before we
> branch for 1.0?

Would like to see HMMer parsing ported to eventbased parsing of SearchIO.
I think I can do this by the end of the week.

We also talked about an Assembly object to hold data so that we can comply
with the BSANE/BioCORBA spec.  There may be other components there I am
missing.

> Jason/Hilmar/Heikki - do you think I am mad for pushing for this?

I think we should try really hard for a release the week of O'Reilly.
Most things are pretty academic to get in.  I kind of need the BioCORBA
stuff in runnable shape to for my talk so I hope to get that going again.
Should consider a documentation sweep to try and make sure that SYNOPSIS
code is runnable and every object has at least something written.