[Bioperl-l] Pushing towards 1.0

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 19:40:06 +0000 (GMT)

It should be perfectly obvious to most people that I would love to be able
to say we have reached 1.0 branching for the Oreilly conference at the end
of Janurary. This was just one month late from when we had roadmapped it
out at Tivoli, so ... this should be doable ;)

I actually think that we are pretty close to a feature-complete - in
particular with the Structure objects coming in we have covered alot of
bioinformatics. Our only missing hole is the Expression objects - noone
really looked at bringing in the objects from BMS.

I'd like to suggest we go for a 0.9 series developer release this week
(Jason - Hilmar - Heikki - sounds good?) I am happy to push it through its
paces.

(One thing - Chad - do we really need use FreezeThaw; in consed - It seems
like we should be able to do without it - the tests definitely pass
without them).

(Jason - I am getting a failed test on mapmarker - no add_position on
Bio/Map/OrderedPositionWithDistance )

Otherwise it all looks fine. (famous last words)

We have 24 bugs in incoming, with I estimate about half of them being not
really active, so we are looking good there.

Before christmas we should discuss what we need to check off before the
1.0 release and then try to drive towards bug freedom on the main trunk
over early Janurary for a branch and (hopeful) release late Jan.

Is there anything else people really, really want to see in before we
branch for 1.0?

Jason/Hilmar/Heikki - do you think I am mad for pushing for this?

ewan