Bioperl: Bio::Tools::Blast->new on sequence file w/no hits, throws fatal exception. Any ideas?

Gustavo Glusman Gustavo@bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il
Sat, 29 May 1999 18:45:11 +0300

At 11:22 -0700 28/5/99, Keith Allen wrote:
>I'd like to add a related issue into this thread, and that is the
>overall problem of handling NCBI Blast2.0x errors.  We run a number
>of scripts where sequences are sequentially fed to blast, and then
>we do one thing or another with the output stream.  But we were
>finding that at some rate blast returns a segfault.

We have also experienced this, actually at very high rates, and, as you
mention, unpredictably.
What I get on STDERR is:

Unhandled exception, code 0xe0ffe0000, in thread 3 at PC=0x3ff807b3868

The funny bit is that, error line or not error line, the blast gets executed.
This happens (only) on a DEC Alpha. I can provide more details if needed.