Bioperl: description of bioperl port to NT

Osborne, Brian brian.osborne@cadus.com
Fri, 28 May 1999 12:31:28 -0400

To the group,

My apologies for the delay. Here are the particulars on the "port" of
bioperl to NT. Though there are multiple installs it is straightforward
overall. Perhaps this note should go on the Web site, a few people have
asked me about it.

I retrieved four things, the latest Perl for Windows from
www.activestate.com <http://www.activestate.com> ,
the latest bioperl, and the Windows port of GNU software from
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/ <http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/>
. Mind you, one could use DOS
("Command Prompt" on my machine) to run Perl scripts, but IMO a consistent
UNIX interface is easier. Finally, get the Windows port of dmake from
ftp://plg.uwaterloo.ca/pub/dmake/ <ftp://plg.uwaterloo.ca/pub/dmake/> .
There is a good note on Windows dmake
at http://www.binary.net/dturley/dmake.html
<http://www.binary.net/dturley/dmake.html>  (and thanks to David J. Evans
for the assistance here). Make sure to install that dmake directory with its
macros
as well.

I first installed Perl, then the GNU tools, but I'm guessing the order is
irrelevant.
Then install dmake and put in your %Path, say with the GNU software. Now
you can install bioperl as usual, but before the 'make' edit the Makefile to
indicate that make = 'dmake'.

For those who've never modified %Path on NT, it's accessible through the
Environment in the System Control Panel.

Thanks once again, and congratulations on your superior collaboration,

Brian O.