Bioperl: "port" to NT

Gunther Birznieks gunther@extropia.com
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:59:22 -0500

At 12:23 PM 12/11/98 -0500, Osborne, Brian wrote:
>To the group,
>
>The NT port proceeds.Here's what I've done :

Cool! That's a great service.

>Install the "full.exe" from Cygnus. This creates
>a bash shell on NT, with a tiny set of Unix utilities
>plus gcc. Very easy (http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/).
>
>Install Activestate version of perl. As mentioned, it's
>based on 5.003_07. It does not contain POSIX.pm or associated
>files. Not hard (http://www.activestate.com). Makes C:\Perl.

Curious. Perhaps I missed something earlier in this list.

Why 5.003?  I thought that the latest ActiveState port is at 5.005_02
and comes with the POSIX.pm.   If you used this, maybe
you wouldn't have to worry about changing the behavior of
some of the "pure" Perl modules so much?

In addition, if you use mod_perl, you can get a mod_perl ready
version that comes with POSIX.pm and is 5.005 based for NT @

http://mothra.tamu.edu/perl/index.html

I suspect that the ActiveState version is a good one to use as
the Perl Win32 porter Gurusamy Sarathy recently joined ActiveState
which will limit the schism that existed between the CPAN binary
and the ActiveState one in pre-5.005 days.

http://www.activestate.com/press/releases/sarathy.htm

Later,
    Gunther