Bioperl: "port" to NT

Osborne, Brian brian.osborne@cadus.com
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 12:23:30 -0500

To the group,

The NT port proceeds.Here's what I've done :

Install the "full.exe" from Cygnus. This creates
a bash shell on NT, with a tiny set of Unix utilities
plus gcc. Very easy (http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/).

Install Activestate version of perl. As mentioned, it's
based on 5.003_07. It does not contain POSIX.pm or associated
files. Not hard (http://www.activestate.com). Makes C:\Perl.

Download the Bioperl .04 *tar.gz file (I'll check the *.zip
file). Ignore 'perl Makefile.pl' and so on. Rather copy the
Bio\ directory tree to the pre-existing C:\Perl\lib directory.
This was Ewan's suggestion. Essentially ignore anything that
would require compiling for the moment, just deal with the
pure Perl.

Test with "perl -e use Bio::Seq" or "perl -e use Bio::Object;",etc.
Comment out all lines 'use POSIX.pm'. That's in Parse.pm and
Utilities.pm. Change 'require 5.004' to 'require 5.003'.
That's in Parse.pm and Seq.pm. (BTW, I see that Blast.pm and
Object.pm say 'require 5.002' but I didn't change that of course).

Test a little script that creates a sequence object and does
some simple things to the sequence (called "sliceDNA"). Works fine.
(BTW, on my machine, "#!/usr/bin/perl" needs to be "#!perl".

Important detail : Perl on NT means one of 2 things (at least!).
Either, through a Unix shell as described or through NT's "Command
Prompt". The latter requires a little more messing around
in the "Environent" in order to associate the "pl" suffix with
the executable Perl (else one always needs to do "perl <some script>".
But I've done this as well when I installed the Activestate
package a while back. So if I take sliceDNA, rename
it "sliceDNA.pl", it works as well.

Nice job you all! What next?

Brian O.

Brian Osborne