[Biojava-l] Java Resource Management [a semi troll...]

Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
Sun Feb 9 21:24:07 EST 2003

I know... this is a troll.... but it sort of resonates with me about the
way Java development works - people have to fix on a JVM version to get
real like-a-rock stability and work about bugs in that release, and
Java is just dreadful in resource management (in particular memory
footprint) meaning you have to give it really beefy machines to run on.

http://www.internalmemos.com/memos/memodetails.php?memo_id=1321

This is why I think i have alot of reluctance to move to Java; C is by far
my prefered strongly-typed, "non-scripting" language. But I am a
dinosaur...

For guys who do run Java as part of their production code in
bioinformatics,

(a) do you have versioning problems over time?

(b) are there resource problems or not?

If so, how do you deal with these?