[Biojava-dev] Please direct pull requests to the appropriate branch

Jose Manuel Duarte jose.duarte at psi.ch
Fri Feb 20 09:10:54 UTC 2015

This is indeed a difficult issue. I think that in principle it is a good
idea to keep the separate branches and have a cleaner developing
progress. Thus I supported Spencer's idea of splitting into
patch/minor/master.

At the same time this system adds to the complexity of the workflow and
especially makes things more complicated for newcomers and that is an
important concern. Also things are less agile: it forces to think in a
rather rigid development scheme that can make things slower, departing
from the release-fast philosophy.

With the little experience we've had so far we have already seen issues
with it, e.g. there was a pull request merged to master that should have
gone to patch. I can see this kind of things happening often. Pull
requests from new contributors will surely be going to master if they
don't know our policies. For some people git is complex enough and
adding the several branches layer makes things even more difficult.

So if we need to rethink this I would support the simple approach of a
monolithic master-only development. In a world of a few core developers
only, the multi-branch option would be fine. For a more realistic
scenario with an open community with new contributors coming in all the
time, simple sounds like the best idea.

Jose