[Biojava-dev] Java version for Biojava 4

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Tue Oct 7 17:01:42 UTC 2014

Hi,

Based on RCSB PDB analytics, I would estimate that somewhere between 10-20%
of all users are still on Java 1.6.  If we would upgrade to 1.7 we would
break biojava derived applets and Java web start for these. As such I'd
vote for staying conservative and to NOT upgrade to 1.7 at this time, in
particular since there is no strong reason for the move. Less than 2% of
users seem to be using 1.8 currently.

Please note: anybody who is using the biojava jars can still build a
derived application in 1.7 or 1.8, even if the underlying .jars have been
compiled with an older version.

Andreas