[Biojava-dev] version 3.1.0 plans and deprecation

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Wed Apr 23 17:50:42 UTC 2014

Hi Spencer,

in the past we have basically never fixed bugs on released branches. It was
easier to just fix the trunk and make another quick release. I suspect this
might not change also with the new semantic versioning conventions.

Having said this, it might be good to make it easier to create biojava
releases and set this up so more people can do this. So far Michael Heuer
and I are the only two people with the SSH keys required to push a release
to cloudeportal.open-bio.org, which is hosting our web site and Maven repo.

To make this easier, it would be great to move our Maven repo to one of the
public open source repositories, such as the Sonatype OSS repo. This could
also be a path for distributing biojava via Maven central.

Not having to update the wiki pages for every minor release might also
speed up the release process. Currently uploading javadocs and updating
links and wiki pages is the most time consuming part of a release. For
detailed release instructions see:

http://www.biojava.org/wiki/BioJava:Make_release

Andreas