[Biojava-dev] Cloning repositories in eclipse

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Apr 11 11:59:43 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've also been doing Git based migration investigations recently and I feel it's appropriate to share some of my observations which I hope can help you to come to your own conclusions about how to progress

1). Git developers seem to avoid pre-allocating branches. This seems sensibles as you only want to branch when there's a good reason to and then they attempt to close the branch as fast as possible (that's not saying long-term branches are not liked just that they will suffer from drift)

2). Small projects use master like CVS's HEAD i.e. all small commits are done directly there (sometimes even big ones) and only substantial changes necessitate a branch. Bigger projects sometimes split the development branch from master & have master acting as somewhere with *just* the live release (GitFlow promotes this) and acts as a release integration point.

3). When you need to do commits to previous a releases then go back to the release tag, create the branch, patch & push. But that said the chances of you requiring to do this are low.

There are a few other things about keeping master as clean as possible since it helps with merges but it isn't essential. Git can be made more complicated if you want to follow a very specific flow which keeps master as clean as possible or it can be made to act just like subversion (without as many branches).

Hope this helps,

Andy