[Biojava-dev] Greetings and simple cleanup

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Mon Jan 9 02:04:44 UTC 2012

Hi Rob,

That's great! Also it involves editing a number of classes. It is
probably best if we set you up with a developer account. I'll contact
you off list for that.

Other than that, adding more junit tests would also be great. Our bug
and feature tracking is at

https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/biojava

About Cruisecontrol: it is probably only a configuration issue that
the tests are not being shown. I can take a look at that at some
point. Did not try Jenkins so far.

Andreas

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Thornton Robert
<robert.thornton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm a computer scientist with pretty small background in bioinformatics but
> I'm interested in the problem domain.  I pulled down biojava to take a look
> and as I'm starting to get my feet wet I'm doing some simple clean up
> (trivial things that I see as I wander through the code a bit or that my IDE
> points out).  I thought I'd do some stuff like this and then move on to
> taking a stab at some bugs.  What is the best way to get contributions back
> to you?  I've attached a patch that is making changes around the following:
>
> Majority of the changes are places where my IDE noted calls to
> StringBuffer.append(string+string) and replacing them with
> StringBuffer.append(string).append(string).  Trivial change with minor
> performance benefits.
> Replacing a few StringBuffer's with StringBuilders
> Removed a few unnecessary boxing or initializations
>

> All the tests run (ran the biojava test goal), though I didn't look into the
> tests for the specific classes to see if there was good coverage for these
> classes.  That's another place I might go to get started - see if there's
> places that need some more coverage.
>
> Speaking of coverage, on CruiseControl I see some tests run but the tests
> results tab don't show anything.  I haven't used CruiseControl in years (and
> never with Maven) so I might be looking in the wrong place, but does it list
> nicely for you the test results (and possibly show coverage) like Jenkins
> does?
>

> Regards,
> Rob

Dr. Andreas Prlic
Senior Scientist, RCSB PDB Protein Data Bank
University of California, San Diego
(+1) 858.246.0526