[Biojava-dev] Greetings and simple cleanup

Thornton Robert robert.thornton at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 12:07:32 UTC 2012

Greetings,

I'm a computer scientist with pretty small background in bioinformatics but I'm interested in the problem domain.  I pulled down biojava to take a look and as I'm starting to get my feet wet I'm doing some simple clean up (trivial things that I see as I wander through the code a bit or that my IDE points out).  I thought I'd do some stuff like this and then move on to taking a stab at some bugs.  What is the best way to get contributions back to you?  I've attached a patch that is making changes around the following:

Majority of the changes are places where my IDE noted calls to StringBuffer.append(string+string) and replacing them with StringBuffer.append(string).append(string).  Trivial change with minor performance benefits.
Replacing a few StringBuffer's with StringBuilders
Removed a few unnecessary boxing or initializations

All the tests run (ran the biojava test goal), though I didn't look into the tests for the specific classes to see if there was good coverage for these classes.  That's another place I might go to get started - see if there's places that need some more coverage.

Speaking of coverage, on CruiseControl I see some tests run but the tests results tab don't show anything.  I haven't used CruiseControl in years (and never with Maven) so I might be looking in the wrong place, but does it list nicely for you the test results (and possibly show coverage) like Jenkins does?

Regards,
Rob