[Biojava-dev] File path problem

Mark Fortner phidias51 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 16:08:40 UTC 2009

Andreas & Andy,
AFAIK this is a long-standing JVM/OS dependent issue.  The only workaround I
know of is to escape the spaces by preceding them with a backslash.

You may be able to create a relative root directory from which all other
subdirectories can be resolved.  Andy, do you encounter a problem if you do
something like this:

File biojavaHome = new File(".");

in the ~/Desktop/No Time Machine Backup/biojava directory?  Does
biojavaHome.exists() return true?

If you don't, then it may be able to resolve subdirectories of the
biojavaHome file object.  You might also try to declare a biojava home env
variable and use it throughout the unit tests.

The other thing that you might try is the new File(new URI("blah"))
constructor.  According to the URI javadoc  it apparently can deal with %20
spaces in file names.

Hope this helps,

Mark

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Andy Law (RI) <andy.law at roslin.ed.ac.uk>wrote:

> On 7 Sep 2009, at 21:03, Andreas Prlic wrote:
>
>  Hi Andy,
>>
>> Can you send me a few stacktraces / file locations that you are having
>> problems with? works fine for me on OSX using eclipse and command line
>> mvn...
>>

> http://tr.im/y8YT
>

> I have lots like this (generated from the command line).
>
> If I move the biojava folder to the Desktop (i.e. at "~/Desktop/biojava/"
> rather than "~/Desktop/No Time Machine Backup/biojava/") then the problem
> goes away.
>

> Later,
>
> Andy
> --------
> Yada, yada, yada...
> The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
> with registration number SC005336
> Disclaimer: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended
> solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed. If you
> have received it in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender.

Mark Fortner

blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/jroller/ideafactory