[Biojava-dev] Biojava Interface to BLAST web/remote services

Sylvain Foisy sylvain.foisy at diploide.net
Thu Jun 4 13:07:04 UTC 2009

Hi Scooter,

On 04/06/09 07:38, "[NAME]" <[ADDRESS]> wrote:

> Looks like the rolled their own URL interface and did not do a WSDL. Not a big
> deal but does appear they have some sort of submit get a "ticket" and then
> check back with the "ticket" identifier for the results. The BioJava API would
> hide the transport layer so you could use a custom URL approach or web
> services.

That is basically the way it works. I am working on a RemoteBlastWrapper
class that would do exactly what you are writing.

> Not sure how the other WSDL interfaces handle long running tasks but I assume
> the Web Services can handle a call that takes say 5 minutes to respond without
> timing out. Some process would need to distinguish between a long running
> server task and a server that is no longer responding.

We'll have to try ;-)

Best regards

Sylvain

 Sylvain Foisy, Ph. D.
 Consultant Bio-informatique / Bioinformatics
 Diploide.net - TI pour la vie / IT for Life

 Courriel: sylvain.foisy at diploide.net
 Web: http://www.diploide.net
 Tel: (514) 893-4363