[Biojava-dev] SCF Issues and leading up to 1.4 release

Andrew Yates ady at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Jun 30 15:15:37 EDT 2005

Hi guys,

First post on the dev list here but with talk of a 1.4 release coming up
soon at BOSC it reminded me that there are certain bugs in the SCF
parser code. The bug is with the wrapping of byte/short values into the
int[] output. I've seen cases where the current parser generates trace
files with an intensity of 65000 (slightly over the range ABI machines
can handle by about 30000) when dealing with byte centric files (SCF can
write values in byte if the delta delta values do not exceed unsigned
byte boundries).

I've developed a fix for it and have the new source available for it
(and this code has been tested & running flawlessly in our program for
about 6 months) but I thought it best to try to shoehorn it in before a
1.4 release hopefully and if not get it in so it gets into any update
release.

What's the best way around this? I don't mind editing the CVS entry but
since this is my contribution to biojava I know I wouldn't be happy from
an admin point of view.

Cheers,

Andy Yates
Computer Biologist