[Biojava-dev] important notice for open-bio developers - please read

Chris Dagdigian chris at bioteam.net
Wed Jun 29 19:41:47 EDT 2005

Hi folks,

Sorry for the mass mailing of all our dev lists but I need to reach
developers for whom we currently do not have good contact information
for...

The O|B|F has 2 brand new colocated servers sitting on fast links to
the internet here in Boston - and we really want to begin using them!
We are slowing beginning the process of moving our developers and
code repositories to one machine while moving websites and mailing
lists to the second machine.

We are going to move the CVS repositories and user accounts first.
However, before we make the switch we need to be make sure all the
folks with user accounts on the pub.open-bio.org system know what is
happening and for that to happen we need to know how to contact them.
I've been testing the new code server and we are ready to make the
switch very soon now.

If you have a user account on pub.open-bio.org please login via SSH
and run "finger <username>" -- please verify that a good email
address for you is listed within one of the fields. If your email
address needs to be changed you can run the command "chfn <username>"
to reset the information. If you do that make sure your full name,
project affiliation and email address are all stored there.

Project leaders or people who are very familiar with their project -
we have tons of accounts on the system from long gone or inactive
developers. *please* make my life easier by logging into the system
and taking a look at /etc/password or the userdirs in /home/ --
contact me and let me know which user accounts can be disabled or
removed.

This is the last time we are going to do a public mailing. At some
point within the next 2 weeks we are going to collect the email
addresses from the finger information and use that to build a one-off
mailing list to coordinate the server move (existing devs with good
email addresses probably saw the obf-developers unsubscription notice
today as we purged the old address in preparation for rebuilding the
list with fresh data...) . Anyone who does not have a valid email
address collected at that time will be left out and his/her user
account will be disabled. We will still relocate the user accounts
and files but the password will be locked and the user will have to
contact the sysadmin team before gaining login or CVS commit access.

Please use our new helpdesk support system to contact me with any
questions or information about long-gone accounts we can disable:
support at helpdesk.open-bio.org

Regards,
Chris

PS - for the hardware geeks out there, the 2 servers are Rackable
C1000 boxes running Centos4 Linux. A bad picture of them is online here:
http://bioteam.net/gallery/bioteamBDC/DSCN1627