[Biojava-dev] Build system changes

Len Trigg len at reeltwo.com
Mon Jan 19 15:19:02 EST 2004

Thomas Down wrote:
> Quicker, less painful test runs == more testing -- that's
> the theory, anyway.  The other thing that's worthwhile in principle
> is running all the tests in a single VM.  Unfortunately, when
> I tried that I ran into bad memory trouble.  The ideal solution
> would be to run groups of tests together, but this might mean we
> have to write our own test runner.

Usually if you have memory problems when running many tests, it means
that your teardown methods somewhere aren't properly implemented (or
you have tons of static fields in your class library).

The automated build system we use here does a recursive object
traversal of the Suite object via reflection after running the tests
and warns us of any unexpected object references loitering around.

Running the tests all in one VM is way faster than doing them
individually.

Cheers,
Len.