[Biojava-dev] Feature Templates

Len Trigg len at reeltwo.com
Thu Sep 4 21:47:48 EDT 2003

Mark Schreiber wrote:
> The "standard" way to "reuse" a template is to make a feature with the template and then generate another template from that feature.
>
> See http://www.biojava.org/docs/bj_in_anger/feature.htm for an example.
>
> This is not really reuse, you are basically copying the template but the effect is the same.

I'm not too worried about how to achieve the affect, more how to avoid
the misuse (by people who don't know better ;-)) of the template
object. I think that either it should be valid to reuse the template
objects themselves, or they should somehow be marked as unusable by
the createFeature process, so that any attempt to reuse them results
in an exception being thrown. What say you?

Cheers,
Len.