[Biojava-dev] Demo Compile problem

David Huen david.huen at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 26 22:48:10 EST 2003

On Wednesday 26 Mar 2003 10:05 pm, Philip MacMenamin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This must be a simple enough problem.
>
> I have just installed bioJava on my machine. To test the installation I
> compiled the /demo/seq/TestEMBL.java, which failed because of some typo I
> had made in the CLASSPATH. The compiler said it didnt know anything about
> the classes I was trying to import. So I sorted that out, fixed the typo
> and recompiled. This time it said that:
>
> "javac seq/TestEmbl.java seq/TestEmbl.java:28: error:Type "Sequence" is
> imported by at least two "import on demand" statements".

I've just tested this demo and I cannot reproduce this problem.  Could you
have a look in the file and check there hasn't been duplication of part of
the file please?

> So, as far as I can see BioJava is installed OK. However, something is
> wrong. I think this error is what happens when you try to do the below:
>
> package pkg1;
> public class MyType
> {
> }
>
> package pkg2;
> public class MyType
> {
> }
>
> import pkg1.*;
> import pkg2.*;
> class MyClass
> {
>    MyType t;
> }

This situation does not arise in any code within Biojava nor the demos,
AFAIK.

> Now... this cant be right. Otherwise everyone on the planet would be
> giving out about it. And they are not. I have also tried other demos, and
> some of them work, most dont though. And they through up other (and
> similar) funny errors.

Could you include some more details, e.g. OS, JDK version, etc.?

Regards,
David Huen