[Biojava-dev] Contributing chromatogram support to BioJava

Rhett Sutphin rhett-sutphin at uiowa.edu
Wed Mar 12 11:14:04 EST 2003

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 10:02  AM, Matthew Pocock wrote:
> The only possible gotcha with the sequence rendering API is that
> nucleotides are evenly spaced. So, you have to scale the number of
> samples to fit into however many pixles 'width' is reserved for one
> nucleotide. If ChromoatogramGraphic is the same, then thunderbirds are
> go.

Ah.  I have to withdraw my previous statement, then.
ChromatogramGraphic is oriented towards representing the whole
chromatogram (or a contiguous section) as it is actually sampled.  It
provides methods for horizontal and vertical scaling, but not on a
per-call basis.  And it can draw lines dividing the chromatogram into
calls, but it's just an overlay -- the actual drawing of the traces is
isolated from the calls.

FWIW, I've just finished porting it over to the biojava-style
Chromatogram API, and I've put the javadoc up in the same place as
before:

http://www.detailedbalance.net/~rhett/dev/biojava/chromat-contrib/doc/

It may be that an adapter could be made to fit ChromatogramGraphic into
a SequenceRenderer, but it sounds like it would be a
square-peg-round-hole sort of thing.  It probably would be better just
to port AbiTraceRenderer to use the Chromatogram interface instead of
the AbiTrace class.  The interfaces (at least the part that
AbiTraceRenderer uses) are very similar.

Rhett
--
Rhett Sutphin
Research Assistant (Software)