[Open-bio-l] Google Summer of Code 2014 - Call for project ideas

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 20:04:08 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Google Summer of Code is on again for 2014 [1], and OBF is once again
applying as a mentoring organization.  Participating in GSoC as an
organization is very competitive, and we will need your help in gathering a
good set of ideas and potential mentors.

Since OBF is an umbrella organization covering multiple Bio* projects, most
of the GSoC ideas will likely be associated with a specific Bio*
community.  For our GSoC application, and for the convenience of students,
we aggregate each Bio* project's ideas on the OBF wiki [2], but the details
of each idea are posted on the specific Bio* page.  So, if you have an idea
for a Summer of Code project, please post your idea on your Bio* project
mailing list for discussion and start an outline on the corresponding wiki
page.  Feel free to reuse or adapt ideas from 2013 or previous years that
were not taken on by a student already, if you feel the idea is still
viable.

We also welcome ideas that fit with OBF's mission but are not part of a
single Bio* project, or span multiple projects -- these ideas can be posted
on the OBF wiki and discussed here, at least for the moment.

Here's to another fun and productive Summer of Code!

Cheers,
Eric & Raoul

[1] https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014
[2] http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code#Project_ideas