[Open-bio-l] BOSC and Codefest 2011 plans

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Mon Oct 4 13:40:49 UTC 2010

Hi Brad,

The idea of a code-fest is great - I am game. With regard to the two
BOSC days, I would like to propose a change to the format. Rather than
listen to all the project updates, and what not, we could opt to have
morning talks and spin-off working groups in the afternoon. I like the
format of the hackathons, though BOSC could be even more
free-flowing as hackathons have a preset purpose.

The code-fest is relevant for every project. In contrast BOSC itself
could be for working on cross-Bio* project needs. We could have the
morning session for every project where, rather than state
achievements, we could state needs. Each talk could consist of two
slides on achievements and two slides on needs (max 4 slides). If
someone cares to give a demo, or show code, that is cool too. Talk is
10 minutes, including questions. Between Bio* projects we can find
common ground and work on those needs. It would quickly be mapped out.

It is such a small community, and the same faces, why not make good
use of our time?

I realise BOSC is *also* to promote Open Source to new comers. So it
may be a question whether it is better to push talks, or to invite
them to participate in OSS project needs. I think that may work well.

I would care for a need oriented format.

Pj.