[Open-bio-l] GenBank and EMBL - join(complement(...)) vs complement(join(...))

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jan 11 10:42:52 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 2:54 AM, Chris Fields <cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:

> I can't recall which of the two BioPerl uses, but if it helps it standardizes
> on one of them for output but parses both.  I think GenBank and EMBL
> have converged on using the same format, but I'm not absolutely sure
> on that.
>
> Ironic actually that I can't remember, as I'm the author of the above page
> and started a discussion about this very subject a while back on the list
> (in an effort to sort out some issues with BioPerl locations).
>
> chris

Thanks Chris,

I'm glad my email made sense - on re-reading I had made more typos
than usual :(

As to the BioPerl behaviour, I think I know enough to get BioPerl
to convert GenBank files into EMBL or vice versa, and thus find
out what it does...

I hope you are right that GenBank and EMBL have converged on
using the same format - any confirmation of this (and which format)
would be very welcome.

Peter (Rice), do you have any input? I noticed some work in the
latest EMBOSS patch last month that touches on this issue:
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/emboss-announce/2009-December/000016.html

Peter