[Open-bio-l] Open-Bio Main Wiki Page

Dave Clements clements at nescent.org
Wed Dec 16 23:14:35 UTC 2009

Hi Peter, Chris,

The GMOD home page (http://gmod.org) news item list is created from the GMOD
News RSS Feed.

The home page renders the feed using the FeedImport extension (
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FeedImport).

The RSS feed is generated from the GMOD News page (
http://gmod.org/wiki/GMOD_News) using the WikiArticleFeeds extension (
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiArticleFeeds).

My memory is that FeedImport was a tough install due to its dependency on
Magpie and Snoopy.  I just updated the WikiArticleFeeds extension and that
was easy.

Be warned that something in the process is sensitive to bad MediaWiki
markup.  That is, if you, for example, don't close a tag in your news item
text, your list of news items may be garbage until you fix it and the feed
refreshes.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that rendering the news feed on the home
page might be slowing down load times noticeably.  :-(

Hope this helps,

Dave C.

http://gmod.org/wiki/January_2010_GMOD_Meeting
http://gmod.org/wiki/GMOD_News