[Open-bio-l] LSIDs

Brian King kingb_98 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 18:15:49 EST 2003

Matthew,

There is an Open Source Java and Perl client
implementation of the LDAP-based LSID resolver
referred to in the NCI paper.  The code is at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lsid.

>With regards to the issue of using domain-names as
>the authority, I guess technicaly at some point in

The LDAP-based LSID resolver does not require the use
of a domain name in the authority.  The spec for the
LDAP resolver is at

http://www.lifecde.com/products/lsid/lsid_resolver_spec.html

I designed the resolver so that an individual could
implement and use it without having to rely on the
participation of any data providers, but the system
can also be integrated with other organization's
resolvers as they become available.  An individual can
build their own local LDAP database of LSIDs, and when
other LDAP databases come online they can be tied
together through LDAP referrals.  I tested the
implementation using the Open Source OpenLDAP tool and
Sun's identity server.

Regards,
Brian